Sunday, November 13, 2011

Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips

One of my favorite ways to prepare chicken at home is making Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips.  It is always really yummy and my two year old thinks they're great too.  It's an easy recipe that takes just a little bit of TLC since you will be pan frying them.


I started the process by marinating the strips in fruit juice.  For the strips, I just cut up boneless skinless chicken breasts using my kitchen shears into appropriate sized strips.  If you're feeding big kids (husbands) then cut bigger strips.  For Will, I make shorter skinnier strips.  


For the marinade I just looked in the fridge to see what I had.  I had fruit punch.  Toddler fruit punch.   That will work...
  Mott's for tots Fruit Punch to be exact.  I mixed up some juice, lime juice, salt, pepper, and olive oil and tossed it in the bag with the raw chicken.  You can marinade the chicken however you want, or not at all, it's up to you and the flavor you want.  Let them marinade for at least an hour in the fridge.
For the rest you need:
2 c. flour
2 c. panko bread crumbs
1-2 c. coconut flakes
3 eggs- beaten with about a T of water
chicken strips

Make an FEB station- flour,egg, breadcrumbs.  Mix the panko and the coconut together in a bowl.  I think I did about 2 cups coconut to 1 cup coconut, but you can add more if you'd like.  Dip strips in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs.  Place strips in hot oil in frying pan.  Use med to med-low heat.  The sugar in the coconut will burn if it's up too high.  This is a bit like bacon- low and slow is the best way.  
Once they are browned on both sides, remove them to a stack of paper towels to drain.
                                  
If you aren't sure that the strips are cooked through, but they need to come out of the oil, just put them in the oven for a few minutes.
And there they are!  Yummy, sweet, crispy chicken strips!  So easy and super delicious!

They are really great the next day too warmed in the oven.  

**If you have never used panko before you are missing out!  We always try to have two boxes on hand.  I use them to bread anything from chicken, porkchops. shrimp, and veggies like zucchini.  


So I hope you'll make these and let us know how they turned out! 
~Kristie

No comments:

Post a Comment