Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Best Chicken Salad- My Secret

The Lentz family are big fans of chicken salad.  What's funny is that I just started eating it about a couple years ago!  My mom stumbled across a very important chicken salad secret and I have using it ever since...... here it is.... 
drum roll..........
 Marie's Cole Slaw Dressing!
My mom discovered this a couple years ago.  I think maybe Paula Deen uses it in hers.  I should probably look into that.  I get compliments on this chicken salad anytime I've brought it places or made it for anyone.  Honestly, the Marie's does the trick!


You also need the following:
1/2 cup mayonaise
1/4 cup Marie's
salt & pepper to taste
2-3 cooked, shredded (or chopped if that's your thing) chicken breasts
1 cup grapes
2-3 green onions chopped
1 stalk celery chopped/sliced thinly
1/2 apple chopped into small chunks
*cranberries would be good, I toyed with putting in craisins- they are shown below, however- they did NOT make the cut into my chicken salad.


Sorry craisins, nothing personal.  Just not feelin' it.


And I wish I would have had some walnuts.  Maybe next time.  Of course, if I buy walnuts I think I'd rather put them into cookies... 

Anyway, back to the point-  mix all ingredients to your liking.  Add more or less of whatever you want.  If you like yours creamier, add more mayo or Marie's.  If you are into curry, add a bit, I know lots of people who love curry chicken salad.  Just not this momma.

You can eat this on a fresh roll or just plain bread too.  I always just eat it with Ritz crackers.  Such a light and fresh meal.  

And I'll check into that Paula Deen thing, wouldn't want to not give credit where it's due!  
I'll let you know!
~Kristie

2 comments:

  1. That looks really yummy, Kristie! My chicken salad also has celery & grapes but I use mayo, sour cream, curry, & lemon juice.
    Also, your pics always look way better than mine!
    ~ Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, yum! There is a taragon chicken salad at Central Market I love. Maybe I'll try my hand at making it using the Marie's...surely I can play around with it and find something close!

    ReplyDelete