Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Crescent Dogs

Last week at MOPS the speaker was all about mealtimes. More specifically the importance of creating a time when the family can come together & share a meal together. She touched on planning & shared some recipes but it was really about togetherness of the family.

I couldn't agree more.

At the Sestile house we almost always ate dinner together as a family. Eating dinner together was one of the only things that I had decided was going to happen with our family. I wish it happened more than it does. I wish it could happen that way every night. But sometimes my husband works late. Sometimes our daily errands or activities last longer than expected & we're home too late to prepare the planned meal & just make sandwiches. And sometimes (LOTS of times) the kids are ready to eat ridiculously early.
[Can I hear an "Amen!"?]

BUT, One thing that I'm working on is to admit that things aren't always perfect. Yes, we make mistakes. Don't beat yourself up about it. Thank you, Robert Cleaver, for sharing this pic on FaceBook!  -->

Couldn't that be it's own blog entry??? Dude, if I ever start (Or Kristie ever asks me to start) a Words of Wisdom Blog or something like that, there will be several entries about this, no doubt!

But I digress!
Back to the speaker from MOPS...
I can't remember if she suggested this or it just came to me (It probably just came to me. I'm smart like that.) but it occured to me that I should make one day a week a kid-friendly meal. I ask my kids all the time to eat my food that they're not really a big fan of & they do a pretty good job of it.
But my children would really love it if I just stopped cooking altogether & made Mac & Cheese from a box, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, & a bowl of cereal for dessert. Every night.
As much as that much ultra-processed foods makes me cringe I can let them have their way once in a while. (I just won Mom of the Year, for sure.)

Tonight I'll be making Crescent Dogs. Adapted from pillsbury.com

Crescent Dogs
Don't tell my husband I'm using Turkey Dogs!
8 hot dogs
Shredded Cheddar Cheese 
(Original recipe used 4 slices American cheese)
1 can crescent rolls

Directions:
1. Preheat oven 375 degrees. Slit hot dogs to withing 1/2 inch on both ends. Stuff with cheese.
2. Separate dough into triangles. Wrap dough triangle around each hot dog. Place on cookie sheet cheese side up.
3. Bake at 375 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.

For this I'm gonna need some help.

Braden (4 yr old) is an accomplished cheese adder & triangle roller.
  
Eli proudly wearing the remains of his snack-
yogurt on his nose & cinnamon/sugar on his mouth.
Eli is supervising.
 

Eli (23 months), the rookie cheese filler.

Assembled Crescent Dogs
Cooked Crescent Dogs
They were good. We served them with Macaroni & Cheese from a box & grapes. Braden ate everything. Eli snubbed the Crescent Dogs but he's not very adventurous yet. He gladly ate all his macaroni though.

Thank you for reading & letting me show off my kids.

~ Alison

1 comment:

  1. They are getting so big and very handsome! Looks like a fun meal.

    ReplyDelete