Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Apple Cider Chicken

I'm back!  THanksgiving was wonderful this year at the Lentz house.  We really have so much to be grateful for this year, the Lord has really blessed us.  I'll be posting pictures soon on my family blog, check them out there! (Link is in the right hand column)

Anyway, we spent most of our grocery budget for the week on Thanksgiving food and items.  Our pantry has been a bit bare and we are out of various items, so I've had to get creative at dinner time.  I looked through the fridge and pantry and found these items:  chicken breasts, mushrooms, an onion, 2 celery stalks, fresh ginger, and apple cider (left over from my apple cider brine used on the turkey).  Thus, the birth of Apple Cider Chicken.

It was delicious!  My husband really enjoyed it and was like, "Now, I like this chicken."  As if there is some other chicken I make that he doesn't like?  He just knows that when I start experimenting sometimes it doesn't work out so well for us.  I'm glad this time it did!

Ya need:
bone in chicken pieces
1 onion sliced thinly
mushrooms-quartered
2 celery stalks chopped
1/2 T. fresh grated ginger (less if you use powdered)
2T brown sugar
2 Cups apple cider
1 cup water (chicken broth would be better!)
2 tsp. ground All Spice
1 T salt
1 tsp pepper

What Ya Do:
Mix up the salt, pepper, and All Spice & coat chicken in it.


Brown chicken.  As you can see, I got a little distracted with the kids and came back to a pan of slightly overly browned chicken.  Oh well.

Remove chicken and set aside.

Saute onions, celery, mushrooms, & ginger.  Once translucent, add in the brown sugar, apple cider & water.

We had an extra big jug.

Add chicken back to the pan and nestle it in with the good stuff.  Put the cover on and braise the meat for about 45 min or until all chicken is cooked through.


I'm sure you could just do the same with plain old apple juice.  The all spice gave it a really nice flavor.  The pictures don't look great, but trust me- this is one you should make!

Happy Wednesday!  It's Pizza night here!

~Kristie


No comments:

Post a Comment