Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Root Beer Chicken & Zucchini Two Ways

This is the ultimate kid pleasing meal!  Root beer chicken & crispy zucchini fries. It is definitely not one of my most nutritious meals, but after a long day home with two small ones it just sounded yummy.  Plus, I was able to pull it together using stuff I already had in the kitchen. Always a plus.


SIDE NOTE:  It is difficult for me to post recipes b/c I never really follow recipes (except for baking).  I just throw things together, whatever I have on hand, changing recipes to fit my tastes, and rarely measuring anything.  For blogging purposes I will start measuring and paying attention to what I'm tossin' in.


Root Beer Chicken... the idea came from my friend Haley.  A few women from church and I have been trying to have monthly recipe swap parties- they are a lot of fun and I come home with some great new ideas to try.  Anyway, Haley's contribution at the last swap was Coke Chicken.  I didn't have Coke, but I did have root beer.  It's super easy.


You need only 3 ingredients!!!:
Chicken- any kind, as much as you want to make (boneless cut into chunks, or bone in pieces)   I used chicken thighs, 10 pieces for $4.50!  That's a deal!
2 cups  Root Beer- or Coke- or Dr. Pepper
1 cup    BBQ sauce (Haley's recipe calls for a whole bottle, I reduced it)


4 Steps:
1.  Brown chicken
2.  Dump in soda & sauce
3.  Boil until thick for about 15 minutes
4.  Reduce to simmer for about 10 more minutes


You cannot get any easier than that!  Serve it with rice or noodles to soak up the 'dewicious 'sauce.  Plus, you get to tell you kids that they will get to have SODA for dinner!  My little man freaked out!


FEB 

Also, a disclaimer:  I am NOT a food photographer.  My pictures may look awful.  That's just the way it is.  


Zucchini Two Ways


First way: Oven roasted, my favorite
1.  Chop squash into 1 inch chunks
2.  Coat with olive oil, salt, & pepper
3.  Bake for about 35 minutes at 375 (or whatever)


Second Way:  Crispy Zucchini Fries (the kid's favorite)


You need:  
zucchini
eggs
flour
breadcrumbs
parmesan cheese (grated, or whatever you have)


1.  Chop into fry shape- spear- wedge- triangular prism.... whatever you prefer to call
2.  Put pieces through the FEB assembly line (Flour -> Egg-> Breadcrumbs & Parm)  
3.  Place on baking sheet & Bake at 375 for about 35 minutes until golden brown.


I just put both of these on the same baking sheet at the same time.  




Test these out on your family & let us know how it turned out!


~Kristie



No comments:

Post a Comment